Hey Duluth! It’s Friday, so let’s get you started with everything you need to know in the city today.
First of all, today’s weather:
Cloudy and colder. High: 38 Low: 26.
Here are the top 3 stories in Duluth today:
- Mill Creek freshman Leah McCarthy won the Gwinnett County diving title on Wednesday. She scored 531.25 points, beating Brookwood sophomore Chloe Brothers’ score of 527.50. Thie was McCarthy’s first Gwinnett Championship. (Gwinnettdailypost.com)
- A teenager was fatally hit by a driver in a parking lot in Snellville. Camaya Harris, 16, was hit on his way to school when a driver slammed into a parking lot. The Gwinnett County Police Department is still investigating the incident. (CBS46)
- Matt Reeves will run for the seat of Georgia House District 99. Reeves claims he will fight for Gwinnett’s taxpayers, school parents, law enforcement officers and the cities in the Georgia State House, a majority of Republicans. (Gwinnett Daily Mail)
From our sponsor:
Tackle a big to-do list at home to start the new year? Our partners at pushpin, the home services app, have made hiring trusted local professionals for virtually any job extremely easy and intuitive. Within minutes you will find a painter, plumber, roofer or someone who can help you with small jobs such as collecting garbage or repairing appliances. And Thumbtack’s rating system can give you the confidence that you’re hiring a quality professional you can count on. Click here to get started.
Today in Duluth:
- social bridge – City of Johns Creek (9:00 AM)
- boules – City of Johns Creek (9:00 AM)
- Social Singers (Zoom) – City of Johns Creek (10:30 AM)
- Eddie Owen Presents: The Mad Hatters (Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers Tribute) – Red clay foundry (8:00 PM)
From my notebook:
- For the entire year 2021, the Duluth Police Department has issued exactly 1,100 tickets to drivers who violated Georgia’s hands-free law. That’s a 12% drop in citations for this law from 2020. (Facebook)
- Interested in being a seller at City of Duluth events in 2022? Attend one of the mandatory virtual vendor interest meetings! Interested suppliers simply need to attend one of the Zoom meetings below where we will share the list of events for 2022, supplier requirements and information on how to register. (Instagram)
- Are you interested in learning how to create and draw characters from your favorite fandom? Check out the sneak peek of the upcoming Fandom Funday Art program from Gwinnett County Public Library in Dacula this Thursday, January 27. For more information, visit the link in their bio. (Instagram)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Do you love the Duluth Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
- Send a friend or neighbor this link so they can subscribe
- Get your local business listed for readers
Thanks for following and staying tuned! See you all tomorrow for your next update.
— Kayla Harrison
About me: Kayla Harrison is a Writing Arts professor and freelance writer for content creation agency Lightning Media Partners. In her spare time, you can see her listening to podcasts, writing poetry, and visiting local coffee shops.