Emma Raducanu vs Danka Kovinic LIVE: Australian Open 2022 result and tennis reaction

Kate Middleton plays tennis with US Open champion Emma Raducanu

Follow all the reactions after Emma Raducanu exited the Australian Open in the second round.

The US Open champion fought through the pain of blisters on her hand but was defeated in three sets by low-ranking Danka Kovinic in Melbourne.

The 6-4 4-6 6-3 loss is the first time the 19-year-old has lost a completed match at a grand slam, with her only previous defeat when she withdrew with breathing difficulties against Ajla Tomljanovic in the fourth round of Wimbledon. .

That proved to be a valuable experience and it will be, with Raducanu once again showing her competitive qualities and giving herself a chance when it seemed a lost cause.

Elsewhere in the men’s draw, Andy Murray also left the tournament after losing to Japanese qualifier Taro Daniel. Hopes were high that Murray would have another strong run in Melbourne when he took a five-set win over Nikoloz Basilashvili in the first round, three years after it looked like his career had ended on the same field.

But back at the John Cain Arena, the feeling was very different this time around as Murray struggled to gain edge against a tenacious and mobile opponent and fell back to a 6-4 6-4 6-4 loss.

1642678115

(AP)

(Getty images)

(Getty images)

Jack RathbornJanuary 20, 2022 11:28

1642677882

Jack RathbornJanuary 20, 2022 11:24 am

1642677829

Australian Open 2022: Andy Murray on the future

As Emma Raducanu leaves, so does another British hope when Andy Murray falls for Taro Daniel.

Murray said: “I am really, really disappointed. Very frustrated. A heavy loss for me, that’s for sure.

“I mean, yes,” Murray added if he plans to be back in 2023. “But not if I do too often this season what I did tonight.

“This is a very important year for me for a number of reasons and I want to perform well in the big events. In that regard, tonight is not good enough for me.

“Making second rounds of slams is not something I find particularly motivating. I want to do better than that. It depends on how I get results this year and how I perform at the big events.”

Jack RathbornJanuary 20, 2022 11:23

1642677268

Australian Open 2022: Women’s draw opens after seeds tumble

Raducanu is not the only seed upset today.

Today only Mertens placed first in the top 20 of the third quarter of the draw for women.

No3 Muguruza, No6 Kontaveit and No12 Rybakina all out.

No14 Halep has yet to play and has a nice route to the semi-finals at this stage.

Jack RathbornJanuary 20, 2022 11:14

1642676650

Australian Open 2022: Kovinic wins Raducanu

Kovinic: “It was great, I really enjoyed it.

“It was a great experience to play against Emma and make my first third round at a Grand Slam.

“I didn’t even think beyond the first lap, it was really tough. It was a regular preparation for every match.

“She had a great result winning a Grand Slam at such a young age, she’s such a talent.

“I was a little low with my energy through the third set. I wanted to focus on myself, not showing emotions when winning or losing, saving energy for the last set.”

Jack RathbornJanuary 20, 2022 11:04 am

1642676566

Jack RathbornJanuary 20, 2022 11:02 am

1642676228

Australian Open 2022: Raducanu 4-6, 6-4, 3-5 Kovinic*

Here we go… Kovinic serves for the game.

Kovinic’s backhand goes long! 0-15. She needs that first service, but it isn’t there.

A great pick up as Raducanu grabbed the second time she came back she levels, 15-15.

ACE! A hammer blow for Raducanu, two points away for Kovinic.

And net! Kovinic has two match points.

Mind blow! What a composure, a powerful forehand return from Raducanu, that saved one.

It’s there! A backhand hitting close to the line, with Raducanu out of position, flirts with the line but just lands in it.

The US Open champion is out!

Jack RathbornJanuary 20, 2022 10:57

1642676082

Australian Open 2022: *Raducanu 4-6, 6-4, 3-5 Kovinic

Busy? What a pressure. Raducanu calmly approaches the net and takes the first point away.

And another, the Brit is not just going away.

But a theme in this game is the drop shot, and Kovinic is perfect here, this time a counter drop shot that Raducanu can’t even come close to because of the disguise.

A clumsy shot from Kovinic gives Raducanu the set with the field wide open as she reached the drop shot on the net. Game.

Jack RathbornJanuary 20, 2022 10:54 am

1642675974

Australian Open 2022: Raducanu 4-6, 6-4, 2-5 Kovinic*

Raducanu looks tired, Kovinic runs through it.

The end may be near, it’s now 5-2, it will take a huge effort from the US Open champion to stay in this now.

Jack RathbornJanuary 20, 2022 10:52