CINCINNATI – The University of Cincinnati swimming and diving programs defeated their crosstown rival Xavier on Friday afternoon. The men won with a score of 211-83 and the women completed the sweep with 191-100.
Xavier University has no diving crew, and the Bearcats divers competed against each other.
The Bearcats honored their nine graduating seniors with a ceremony between the two events.
- The Bearcats claimed the top four places in the men’s 200-yard freestyle relay with sophomores Hunter Gubeno, sophomore Bennett Vail, sophomore Ricky Williams and sophomore Thomas Matthew scoring in the top places, respectively.
- The Bearcats repeated the trick, this time in the women’s 200-meter breaststroke, with freshmen Annabelle Young, sophomore Logan Lawhorn, graduated student Victoria Hunt and freshmen Kaylee Nagel to round out the top four.
- sophomore Calvin Coetzee, junior Kevin Leibold, senior Riley Dafoe and Vail rounded out another top-four sweep in the 500-meter freestyle.
- Senior Sydney St Rose Finear won the 1000-meter freestyle with a time of 10:28.69 and the 500-meter freestyle with a time of 5:03.75.
- sophomore Jessica Davis won three events, starting with the 200-meter freestyle, 100-meter freestyle and the 50-meter freestyle.
- Dominic Polling won the 100m breaststroke with 56.18 and the 200m breaststroke with a time of 2:03.90.
- Junior Katherine Connolly set her season best time in the 200m butterfly with a 2:04.19 and would also claim first place in the 100m butterfly with a season best time of 57.38.
- Junior Michael Balcerak won the 50m freestyle with 20.96 and the 100m freestyle with 45.65
- sophomore Erin Shema took the win in the 100m backstroke with a time of 57.25.
- Senior Blake Hanna and freshmen Quinn Cynor finished with times of 49.32 and 51.80 to take the top two places in the 100-yard backstroke.
- Lawhorn took first place in the 100m breaststroke with a 1:05.69.
- sophomore Tommy Eaton won the 200m butterfly with 1:50.66.
- Hanna would win the 200m backstroke with a time of 1:46.81, finishing ahead of teammate Gubeno who clocked a 1:50.34.
- Junior Mohamed Abdelbaky and Tommy Eaton claimed the top two places in the 100-yard butterfly with 50.39 and 50.44, respectively.
- Senior Camryn Streid and Annabelle Young took first and second in the 400 meters IM with times of 4:28.28 and 4:28.50.
- Junior Spencer Sehlhorst won the 400-yard IM with a time of 3:58.72.
- Guebno, Polling, Hanna and Balcerak won the last part of the day, the 200m freestyle relay with a time of 1:23.51.
The Bearcats travel to the state of Bluegrass on Friday, January 28 to meet in Kentuckye, and to meet in Louisville on January 29e.
FOLLOW THE BEARCATS
Follow the team on Twitter and Instagram (@GoBearcatsSwim) for an inside look at swimming and diving in Cincinnati.