SAN DIEGO — The San Diego State women’s tennis team successfully opened its 2022 campaign on Friday, recording a 6-1 win over Sacramento State at the Aztec Tennis Center.
“I was really proud of the way the team competed against a very competitive opponent today,” said San Diego State head coach Perter Mattera. “Nnena Nadozie and Alicia Melosch at number two doubles was the clutch in their hard-fought set, giving us the all-important double point and a bit of momentum in singles. We look forward to coming home tomorrow against UC Riverside.”
The Aztecs opened the game with the double point. Seniors Bunyawi Thasmchaiwat and Tamara Arnold took the first win, without conceding a game, with a 6-0 win on field one. The state of San Diego claimed the point when Nadozie and Melosch took a 7-5 victory over the No. 2 position.
San Diego State claimed five out of six singles games and four out of five wins came in straight sets. Thamchaiwat was first off the field and recorded a 6-2, 6-0 victory over Tsveti Yotova at number one. The Aztec senior is ranked 82nd nationally in singles and was one of four players to record victories in singles and doubles on Friday.
In the No. 6 singles, SDSU’s Melosch surrendered just two games in total in a 6-1, 6-1 win over Megan Tagaloa. Her win gave the Aztecs a 3-0 lead.
San Diego State took the team victory when Arnold recorded a 6-2, 6-3 win over Maddy Ferreros on lane two. Nadozie recorded a 6-2, 6-4 decision against Weronika Ejsmont at number 3 singles.
The teams split some very competitive games, with Sacramento State earning a team point as Paige Alter got past SDSU’s Paige Alter, 6-2, 7-6(7). SDSU capped off its season-opening win as Morin recovered from a one-set deficit to beat Best Lee 3-6, 6-1, 6-3 in No. 4 singles.
The season opening of San Diego State’s three games continues tomorrow when the Aztecs play host to UC Riverside at the Aztec Tennis Center. The match time is set for 12 noon PT and entry is free. The Highlanders are 0-1 on the season after losing a home game to Nevada last Saturday.
Women’s Tennis: San Diego State 6, Sacramento State 1
1. No. 82 Bunyawi Thamchaiwat (SDSU) def. Tsveti Yotova (SS) – 6-2, 6-0
2. Tamara Arnold (SDSU) def. Maddy Ferreros (SS) – 6-2, 6-3
3. Nnena Nadozie (SDSU) def. Weronika Ejsmont (SS) – 6-2, 6-4
4. Cécile Morin (SDSU) defeats. Best Lee (SS) – 3-6, 6-1, 6-3
5. Paige Alter (SS) def. Julia Jordan (SDSU) – 6-2, 7-6 (7)
6. Alicia Melosch (SDSU) def. Megan Tagaloa (SS)-6-1, 6-1
1. Bunyawi Thamchaiwat / Tamara Arnold (SDSU) def. Tsveti Yotova / Paige Alter (SS) – 6-0
2. Nnena Nadozie / Alicia Melosch (SDSU) def. Weronika Ejsmont / Megan Tagaloa (SS)-7-5
3. Maddy Ferreros / Best Lee (SS) vs. Regina Pitts / Julia Jordan (SDSU) – 6-5, did not finish
Order of finishing: Double (1, 2); Singles (1, 6, 2, 3, 5, 4)
Team records: San Diego State 1-0, Sacramento State 0-1