OXFORD, Miss –– The Alabama men’s tennis team (2-1) suffered a minor 4-3 loss to Ole Miss No. 18 (3-0) on Saturday at the William F. Galtney Indoor Tennis Center.
Alabama took two of the three doubles to start the game with a 1-0 lead. The battle continued as the match saw four singles lanes go into a third set as both teams battled for control. Filip Planinsek rally for a come-from-behind three-set win against 44e-ranked Finn Reynolds as Enzo Aguiard came out victorious in a contentious three-set battle on court three.
“Another tight against the Rebels and this time they did a better job putting their game up and running the whole stretch. We were a few players behind but our guys didn’t look up. They got up and put us in position We now have the chance to capitalize on this performance in practice and tighten the screws in preparation for the ITA Kickoff next weekend.”
In the match
- For the third time this season, Alabama scored the double point to start the day with a 1-0 lead
- Partners, Planinsek and German Samofalov opened the match with a 6-4 win over Reynolds and Lukas Engelhardt at No. 1 doubles, but Ole Miss responded with a 6-3 win on lane three
- The duo of Aguiard and Joaoo Ferreira took the double point for the Tide and won 7-5 against Nikola Slavic and Simon Junk in the number 2 spot
- Ole Miss started warm in singles and won on lanes two and five respectively for a 2-1 lead
- Planinsek tied the score, beating number 44 Reynolds at the top of the standings with a three-set 4-6, 6-1, 6-4 win
- However, back-to-back victories in three sets on lanes six and four gave the Rebels match point as Aguiard put in a strong third set performance at number 3 singles to go 6-2, 6-7(4), 6- 3 against John Hallquist Liten
Alabama heads to Starkville, Miss., to participate in the ITA kick-off. The Tide opens the tournament on Saturday, January 29 against Kentucky at 10 a.m. CT.
- Filip Planinsek/German Samofalov (UA) def. Finn Reynolds/Lukas Engelhardt (UM) 6-4
- Enzo Aguiard/Joaoo Ferreira (UA) def. Nikola Slavic/Simon Junk (UM) 7-5
- John Hallquist Lithen/ Jakob Cadonau (UM) def. Rudi Christiansen/Zach Foster (UA) 6-3
Order of finishing: (1,3,2)
- No. 83 Filip Planinsek (UA) def. No. 44 Finn Reynolds 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
- No. 28 Nikola Slavic (UM) def. German Samofalov (UA) 6-3, 6-1
- Enzo Aguiard (UA) def. John Hallquist Lithen (UM) 6-2, 6-7(4), 6-3
- Lukas Engelhardt (UM) beats. Joaoo Ferreira (UA) 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
- Simon Junk (UM) beats. Rudi Christiansen (UA) 6-2, 6-2
- Jan Soren Hain (UM) def. Zach Foster (UA) 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
Order of finish: (2,5,1,6,4,3)
Get the latest information about the team by following AlabamaMTN on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. General athletic news can also be found at UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and Alabama Athletics on Facebook.