ANNAPOLIS, Md. –– Navy men’s tennis opened its season by taking a pair of 6-1 wins at the Tose Family Tennis Center in Annapolis on Saturday. The Mids (2-0) first defeated Saint Francis U. (0-1), then defeated St. Bonaventure (0-2).
“It was a good effort from our firstfruits today,” said Navy head coach Chris Garner. “While we have a large senior class, we also have some younger players who don’t have a lot of tennis experience with college teams. It’s been good to get those guys in matches. Hopefully we can continue to do that over the course of this period.” season.”
The Mids won a pair of doubles to earn the double point with the red flash. Jack McBride (Sr., Chapel Hill, NC) and Derrick Thompson (Sr., Towson, Md.) recorded a 6-3 win over Sebastian Pinos and Fabio Varella in the No. 1 flight. Navy secured the point when its No. 2 team of Find Garner (Jr., Arnold, Md.) and Luke Garner (Fr., Arnold, Md.) took a 6-2 win over Marc Fuste and Andrew Teixeira.
The lead went 2-0 after Thompson defeated Pinos 6-0, 6-1 on the No. 1 flight, and it was a 3-0 lead after Christian Pumpelly (Jr., Atlanta, Georgia) won a 6-2, 6-1 match against Christian Banti on Flight No. 5. A 6-1, 6-0 victory by Find Garner at number 2 singles over Teixeira secured the Mids’ fourth team point.
Also winning matches for Navy were Cy McLeod (Fr., Augusta, Ga.) at number 6 singles and McBride at number 3 flight.
In the second game of the day against the Bonnies, Navy’s No. 1 team of Nicholas Nguyen (So., McLean, Va.) and Gavin Segraves (Jr., Charlottesville, Va.) posted a 6-3 win over Stijn Paardekooper and Marco Rivolo. The Mids also saw Jan Kjellberg (Sr., White Plains, NY) and William sir (So., Chantilly, Va.) Beat Ethan Nguyen and Luke Riemmann by the same score on the No. 2 flight.
Sam Wagner (Sr., Staten Island, NY) and Conners O’Brien (Sr., Rensselaer, Va.) have each lost no match in winning their matches at number 5 and 4 singles, respectively. Jack Dabek (Sr., Dublin, Ohio) recorded a 6-0, 6-3 win over Riemann at No. 3 singles and Segraves recorded a 6-0, 6-2 win over No. 2 singles over Rivolo.
The Bonnies have not entered a number 3 doubles team or a number 6 singles player.
Navy will continue its season on Jan. 29 when the Mids play host to Youngstown State and St. Francis Brooklyn.
Navy (1-0) final. Saint Francis U. (0-1), 6-1
Double (1-3-2) –– Navy wins the double
1. McBride, Jack / Thompson, Derrick (NAVY) def. Sebastian Pinos / Fabio Varella (SFU) 6-3
2. Garner, Finn / Garner, Luke (NAVY) def. Marc Fuste / Andrew Teixeira (SFU) 6-2
3. Christian Banti / Jordi Garcia (SFU) defeats. Ballesteros, Andres / Liu, Eric (NAVY) 6-2
1. Thompson, Derrick (NAVY) defeats. Sebastian Pinos (SFU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Garner, Finn (NAVY) def. Andrew Teixeira (SFU) 6-1, 6-0
3. McBride, Jack (NAVY) defeats. Fabio Varella (SFU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Defeats Marc Fuste (SFU). Garner, Luke (NAVY) 2-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-6)
5. Pumpelly, Christian (NAVY) defeats. Christian Banti (SFU) 6-2, 6-1
6. McLeod, Cy (NAVY) def. Daniel Vinces (SFU) 6-2, 1-6, 1-0 (10-7)
Navy (2-0) final. St Bonaventure (0-2), 6-1
Double (1-2) –– Navy wins the double point
1. Nguyen, Nicholas / Segraves, Gavin (NAVY) def. Stijn Paardekooper / Marco Rivolo (SBUM) 6-3
2. Kjellberg, Jan / Pak, William (NAVY) def. Ethan Nguyen / Luke Riemann (SBUM) 6-3
3. Marine wins in walkover
1. Stijn Paardekooper (SBUM) def. Fishkin, Jake (NAVY) 6-2, 5-7, 1-0 (10-4)
2. Segraves, defeats Gavin (NAVY). Marco Rivolo (SBUM) 6-0, 6-2
3. Dabek, Jack (NAVY) defeats. Luke Riemann (SBUM) 6-0, 6-3
4. O’Brien, Conners (NAVY) defeats. Ethan Nguyen (SBUM) 6-0, 6-0
5. Wagner, Sam (NAVY) defeats. Filip Morawski (SBUM) 6-0, 6-0
6. Marine wins in walkover