If you’ve ever participated in a national USBC bowling tournament, you may know the schedule associated with that event, especially for the team captains.
Normally you need your tournament reservations about a year or more in advance for the USBC OPEN Championships, (this season in Las Vegas), or the USBC Women’s Championships, (this year in nearby Addison, Illinois…about five hours away to just west of Chicago.)
The actual bowling format for these national bowling tournaments is very similar to that of state and local association tournaments, (5 person or 4 women TEAM event, doubles, singles and all events, but you can make it a holiday, family gathering, or just a few fun days with your “bowling family”.
Last season (after more than a year of Covid delays) I was finally able to attend my 40th consecutive USBC OPEN Championships in Las Vegas.
Four teams made the trip with us and I was able to arrange my team as my three sons (Jason, Rob and Carter), along with my brother John S. Jones and myself.
During and after the tournament, two more teams emerged from those who wanted to put together their own team with us. Now I have six teams planning to leave at the end of April (23-24). There will be openings on a few
those teams so please contact me if you are interested.
National tournaments: More expensive than state or local association tournaments.
Tournament Differences: National tournaments take place daily, not just on weekends. The OPEN Championships have side events such as The Forty Frame Game & the Bowlers Journal, along with three separate divisions: Classified: (155 and below), Standard: (156 to 175) and Regular: (176 and above). (All averages converted to
Sports averages using an established conversion table developed by USBC.)
For the Women’s Championships (4 women’s teams), there are six average divisions: Diamond (175 and above), Ruby (161 to 174), Emerald (149 to 160), Sapphire (138 to 148), Amethyst ( 125 to 137) and Topaz (124 and below). Try them out!
Local High School Bowling tryouts scheduled for THIS WEEK. Plan to participate
BOTH trial days!
* High School Shepherd Training (BOTH Girls & Boys Teams): Tues & Wed, Nov 16 & 17 at Riverwood Lanes.
*MPHS Tryouts (BOTH Girls and Boys Teams): Thursday and Friday November 18th and 19th, 3:30pm-5:00pm at Riverwood Lanes.
THINK YOUR STATE tournaments!
2021-2022 STATE Tournament Destinations (Women, OPEN and YOUTH.)
(Entries for Women’s and OPEN status tournaments that both use a new ONLINE REGISTRATION system – see below for more details.)
MS USBC Online Tournament Reservation/Payment System (Ladies & OPEN) Call 616/635-2032 for additional assistance.
* 95th Annual MS USBC Women’s State Tournament, Muskegon, weekends February 19 to May 8 (unless extended). Visit the website: MS USBC – www.michiganstateusbc.com – for more information. Inquiries: Please contact the MS USBC office directly at 616/635-2032.
* 119th Annual MS USBC OPEN State Tournament, Livonia & Westland, weekends February 5 to May 8. Visit the website: MS USBC – www.michiganstateusbc.com – for more details. Inquiries: Please contact the MS USBC office directly at 616/635-2032.
* Michigan State USBC Mixed Tournament, The Bowling Alley, in Ionia, one weekend remaining (30-31)
*Michigan State USBC Senior Tournament (50 and over), Monitor Lanes, in Bay City, 4 more dates in October 28-31.
This tournament used to be held in early May every season – (56th Annual OPEN & 46th Annual Ladies)
* Separate divisions for ages 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74 and 75 years and older for both men and women. Winner/Tournament Representative of all events will go on to represent Michigan at National Seniors in August.
* 40th Annual MS USBC YOUTH State Tournament, Bay City (Monitor & Alert Lanes), March 12 to April 24 (unless extended). All weekends currently open. Contact Becky Pope (989/506-6299) for entry forms and additional details.
o Reserved Application Deadline for Entry: January 26, 2022 Final Entry Deadline: February 16, 2022 Website: MS USBC – www.michiganstateusbc.com
* 36th Annual MICHIGAN Queens Tournament, Battle Creek (M-66 Bowl), November 20-21, 2021 (entry blanks available)
Northern Michigan Tournaments
* Annual Northern Michigan Women’s Championship, Traverse City, March 5 to March 27, further details pending. If you are interested in bowling on any of these March weekends, please contact Pam, (231) 947-2610 x 306 at Lucky Jack’s.
* Annual Northern Michigan OPEN Championship, Traverse City, April 10 – May 23, some details pending. Contact Pam, (231) 947-2610 x 306 at Lucky Jack’s for opening each weekend during the tournament next spring. MP USBC Reserved Weekend: April 30 – May 1 – Please contact Dave Lewis (989/560-8009) locally to reserve your team’s entry.
See you at Riverwood Lanes during the 2021-2022 season.
Stay safe, stay healthy.
Mid-Michigan finds their bowling needs at Riverwood, Gateway and Pins!