SAN DIEGO — The San Diego State women’s tennis team took its second win in as many days on Saturday by beating UC Riverside 4-0 at the Aztec Tennis Center. The Aztecs start this season 2-0, beating the opposition 10-1.
On Saturday, SDSU was able to show off the flexibility of the roster by recording a shutout win with only two singles players who were in the same position in the lineup as the day before. sophomore Alexandria Von Tersch Pohrer saw her first action of the season, making Bunyawi Thamchaiwat, the 82nd ranked singles player, to sit out today’s game.
“I’m really proud of the team coming out today with a lot of energy after a quick turnaround from yesterday’s win,” said San Diego State head coach. Peter Mattera said. “We took our level from our opener to the next level and played with a really good focus and confidence.
“Our senior leaders, Nnena Nadozie and Tammy Arnold did a great job at the top of the lineup and set the standard for the rest of the team.”
San Diego State had to work for the colon. Highlanders Niki Shahbazi and Sofia Lazzaroni struck first for the UC Riverside with a 6-1 win on lane three. The Aztecs rallied to take the doubles team point by winning the top two doubles matches. At number two doubles, SDSU’s Arnold and Julia Jordan teamed up for a 6-3 win and SDSU took the point when Nadozie and Alicia Melosch won, 6-3.
The teams played to claim victory in singles, with the Aztecs finishing the match with three wins in singles. The first was Arnold, who triumphed at number 2 singles yesterday. Today, at the top of the lineup, the senior recorded a 6-1, 6-2 win over Mahli Silpachai to give the Aztecs a 2-0 lead.
SDSU pushed the lead to 3-0 after a win on lane two. Nadozie was a straight-set winner over Hahn Pham, 6-2, 6-3. The senior also won in singles on Friday, playing in the number three position against Sacramento State.
The Aztecs completed the shutout and took the team victory when Jordan eliminated Serina Saltzen 6-2, 6-3 in number five singles.
San Diego State’s closes its three-game homestand on Saturday against Big West Conference member UC San Diego (1-2). The game is scheduled for 12:00 p.m. PT at the Aztec Tennis Center.
Women’s Tennis: San Diego State 4, UC Riverside 0
1. Tamara Arnold (SDSU) def. Mahli Silpachai (UCR) – 6-1, 6-2
2. Nnena Nadozie (SDSU) def. Hanh Pham (UCR) – 6-2, 6-3
3. Alicia Melosch (SDSU) vs. Natalie Shamma (UCR) – 6-3, 3-3, unfinished
4. Cecile Morin (SDSU) vs. Sofia Lazzaroni (UCR) – 6-4, 0-1, unfinished
5. Julia Jordan (SDSU) def. Sell Serine (UCR) – 6-2, 6-3
6. Alexandria Von Tersch Pohrer (SDSU) vs. Niki Shahbazi (UCR) – 6-0, 1-3, not finished
1. Nnena Nadozie / Alicia Melosch (SDSU) def. Hanh Pham / Mahli Silpachai (UCR) – 6-3
2. Tamara Arnold / Julia Jordan (SDSU) def. Natalie Shamma / Serina Selling (UCR) – 6-3
3. Niki Shahbazi / Sofia Lazzaroni (UCR) beats. Cecile Morin / Alexandria Von Tersch Pohrer (SDSU) – 1-6
Order of finishing: Double (3, 2, 1); Singles (1, 2, 5)
Team records: San Diego State 2-0, UC Riverside 0-2