It’s time to send a new Top 25 Men’s Basketball to The Associated Press.
I kicked out Chicago’s Loyola after the loss to the state of Missouri.
I evicted Illinois after its losses to Purdue and Maryland, although the Illini will likely be back on the ballot if they take out Michigan this week.
I started Miami after the loss to the state of Florida.
I didn’t have to evict Texas because I did two weeks ago.
1. Auburn (18-1) stays here after beating Georgia and Kentucky. Next Tuesday. in Missouri and Sat. against Oklahoma in the Big 12-SEC Challenge.
2. Gonzaga (15-2) stays here after beating San Francisco. Next Thursday. against Loyola Marymount and Sat. against Portland.
3. Arizona (15-1) moves up one spot after beating Stanford and California. Up next: a big game Tuesday at UCLA and a Sat. game against the state of Arizona.
People also read…
4. Baylor (17-2) moves up one spot after winning in West Virginia and Oklahoma. Next Tuesday. against Kansas State and a good game Saturday in Alabama in the Big 12-SEC Challenge.
5. Kansas (16-2) moves up one spot after winning Oklahoma and Kansas State. Up next: a big game against Texas Tech on Monday and another big game against Kentucky on Saturday in the Big 12-SEC Challenge.
6. UCLA (13-2) moves up three places after winning Utah and Colorado. Next up: the big game Tuesday against Arizona, a game on Thursday against Cal and a game on Saturday against Stanford.
7. Michigan State (15-3) moves up nine places after win in Wisconsin. Up next: a good game Tuesday in Illinois and a Sat. game against Michigan.
8. Wisconsin (15-3) drops five places after winning at Northwestern and losing to Michigan State (when the Badgers were not at full strength). Next Thursday. in Nebraska and Sunday against Minnesota.
9. Purdue (16-3) drops two places after winning Illinois in double OT, losing in Indiana and beating Northwestern. Up next: a good game Thursday in Iowa and a big game Sunday against the state of Ohio.
10. Houston (17-2) moves up one spot after beating South Florida and East Carolina. Next: Saturday at UCF.
11. Texas Tech (15-4) moves up four spots after beating Iowa State and West Virginia. Next up: the big game Monday in Kansas and a Sat. game with Miss State in the Big 12-SEC Challenge.
12. Duke (15-3) falls four places after losing to Florida State in OT and beating Syracuse. Next up: Tuesday against Clemson and Sat. at Louisville.
13. Kentucky (15-4) stays here after winning at Texas A&M and losing at Auburn. Next Tuesday. against Miss State and the big game Saturday in Kansas.
14. Villanova (14-5) drops four places after losing at home to Marquette and winning in Georgetown. Next: Tuesday against DePaul and Saturday against St. John’s.
15. Ohio State (12-4) moves up three places after beating IUPUI. Next: Thursday in Minnesota and the big game Sunday in Purdue.
16. Marquette (14-6) cracks my vote here after beating Villanova and beating Xavier. An entire week. Marquette has won six straight games, including victories over Providence and Seton Hall. Marquette also defeated Illinois in November. Next: Wed. at Seton Hall and a big game Saturday in Providence.
17. Providence (16-2) moves up two places after beating Georgetown and Butler. Next: a big game Wed. at Xavier and Saturday’s big game against Marquette.
18. USC (16-2) moves up four places after wins in Colorado and Utah. Next: Monday against Arizona State, Thursday against Stanford and Saturday against Cal.
19. Davidson (16-2) moves up four places after winning at VCU and at Fordham. Next: Wed. against VCU and Sat. against La Salle.
20. UConn (13-4) moves up four places after beating Butler twice. Next Tuesday. against Georgetown and sat. at DePaul.
21. LSU (15-4) drops nine places after losing to Alabama and Tennessee. Next: Wed. against Texsa A&M and had a good game. at TCU in the Big 12-SEC Challenge.
22. Xavier (14-4) drops five places after winning at DePaul and losing at Marquette. Next: the big game Wed. against Providence and a Sat. match at Creighton.
23. Tennessee (13-5) returns to my ballot box after a week-long absence after winning Vanderbilt and beating LSU. Next: Wed. against Florida and had a good game. in Texas in the Big 12-SEC Challenge.
24. Iowa State (14-5) drops 10 places after losing at Texas Tech and at home to TCU. Next: Wed. in Oklahoma and Sat. against Missouri in the Big 12-SEC Challenge.
25. For this last spot, I looked very closely at Alabama. I also looked at Murray State, BYU, Oregon, Boise State, Colorado State and Wyoming. I’ve also thought about keeping Illinois on my ballot at this spot. But in the end I decided to have Florida State (13-5) voted back after a 10-week absence and placed FSU #25 after the Seminoles defeated Duke in OT, defeated North Florida and won in Miami. Not a bad week. FSU now has one win over Duke and two wins over Miami. FSU has won six consecutive games. Next: Wed. at Georgia Tech and Sat. against Virginia Tech.