Earl Bamber is set for additional forays in a Porsche 911 GT3 R and possibly other GT3 machines this year, with the Kiwi receiving clearance from Chip Ganassi Racing to pursue racing opportunities beyond its IMSA DPi commitments.
The ex-Porsche works driver, now under the Cadillac umbrella in the WeatherTech SportsCar Championship, has outlined plans to compete in both the Nürburgring 24 and TotalEnergies 24 Hours of Spa this year.
Bamber said he was “written in pencil” to sit in Porsches in both events, presumably with KCMG, although the two-time 24 Hours of Le Mans winner declined to confirm details of the appointment.
“It’s really fun,” Bamber told Sportscar365.
“We can do the prototype, but when I spoke to them I said, ‘Look, there are some big races that I haven’t won, the Nürburgring is one of them, so I would really like to do that race to try and win the overall and check that box.’
“It’s nice to still be able to do that with different manufacturers. It’s also easy because I can control them all.”
Bamber competed at the Nürburgring 24 last year with Frikadelli Racing, winning the Paul Ricard 1000 Fanatec GT World Challenge Europe powered by AWS Endurance Cup round with GPX Racing as part of his full season effort with the team while not being contracted like a Porsche factory driver.
While he doesn’t expect to return to Europe full-time, Bamber said he is grateful to CGR and Cadillac for allowing him to continue racing beyond his new all-season DPi drive.
“In the end I still want to win some of the big races,” he said.
“Nürburgring is clearly a big target and Spa  and things like that. I would also like to have a ride for Le Mans that I have yet to arrange.
“There are a few things in the pipeline to do some of those ‘highlight races’ so to speak.”
Bamber said his GT3 rides are not necessarily limited to Porsches, as he recently tested a Mercedes-AMG GT3 Evo in Thailand for the Thailand Super Series.
EBM had plans to run Bathurst 12H with Pro Class Porsche
Bamber revealed that Earl Bamber Motorsport had plans to drive a Pro-class Porsche in the Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 hours prior to the event’s postponement to May.
The Intercontinental GT Challenge powered by Pirelli season opener has been moved from late February to May 13-15 due to a recent spate of COVID-19 cases in Australia, which has raised concerns among a number of international teams and drivers.
The team currently owns two Porsche 911 GT3 Rs.
“This date is really not good for anyone with logistics,” Bamber said. “I honestly don’t know how everyone is going to do that.
“We had entered a Pro car for Bathurst [before the date change] but we’re not sure how it will logistically work with auto-maps.
“Basically you have to throw one car into Australia and it will be out of circulation for four months. It’s a big question for everything. We have to see how it ends.
“If it’s possible with the logistics, we’ll still do the Pro car.”
Bamber said EBM plans to run the remaining IGTC races in Pro-Am this year, including a second car at the 24H Spa and entry into the GTWC Europe round at Paul Ricard.
In addition to last weekend’s 6H Abu Dhabi, more 24H Series powered by Pirelli races are in the works, along with a return to GTWC Asia if SRO Motorsports Group’s relaunch plans materialize.