The crush that killed eight people and injured dozens ahead of the last 16 match of the Africa Cup of Nations between host country Cameroon and the Comoros in Yaounde is the latest in a long string of football stadium tragedies.
AFP Sport highlights some of the worst:
May 23, 1964
– 320 people were killed and more than 1,000 injured in a stampede at a Peru-Argentina Olympic qualifying tournament at the National Stadium of Lima. Fans could not escape the crush and were trampled or suffocated.
October 20, 1982
– Mystery still shrouds the total number who died at the end of a UEFA Cup match between Spartak Moscow and Dutch Haarlem at Luzniki Stadium as a result of a crush on a stairwell. Officially, it remains at 66 — 45 of them teenagers — but according to the daily Soviet ski sport, the number is much higher at 340.
May 10, 2001
– 126 people died in Accra at the end of a match between Hearts of Oaks and Kumasi, when Kumasi supporters, angered by their team’s defeat, threw projectiles and broke chairs. Police threw tear gas canisters, sparking a stampede.
Apr 15, 1989
– A crush in the stands at Sheffield Wednesday’s Hillsborough Stadium led to the deaths of 97 Liverpool fans during an FA Cup semi-final with Nottingham Forest.
– May 11, 1985 – 56 people were killed when a fire broke out in wooden stands during a game between Bradford and Lincoln City.
October 16, 1996
– About 80 spectators were killed when they were crushed by fans piling up in a stand at the Mateo Flores National Stadium for the 1998 World Cup qualifier between Guatemala and Costa Rica.
January 2, 1971
– 66 people were killed in an instant at Ibrox Stadium during a Rangers-Celtic derby. It was the stadium’s second disaster after a grandstand collapsed in 1902, killing 26 people.
February 1, 2012
– The tragedy at Egypt’s Port Said stadium that killed 74 people after clashes between rival supporters of local club Al-Masry and Cairo-based Al-Ahly.
– February 17, 1974 – 48 people died and 47 were injured when 80,000 people cram into a 40,000 capacity stadium.
Apr 11, 2001
– 43 people died in a stampede at Johannesburg’s Ellis Park stadium during a game between the Orlando Pirates and Kaizer Chiefs.
– January 13, 1991 – 40 killed in melee in an Orlando Pirates-Kaizer Chiefs match.
May 29, 1985
– 39 dead at the Heysel Stadium in Brussels as Juventus fans tried to flee Liverpool fans.
May 5, 1992
– 18 people were killed and more than 2,300 were injured when a terrace collapsed at the Furiani stadium in Corsica.