BETHLEHEM, Dad. — Navy junior Jillian Taggart earned the Patriot League Women’s Tennis Player of the Week, while teammate senior Derrick Thompson was named the men’s tennis player of the week when the League office announced the awards on Tuesday.
Boston University senior Shelly Yaloz and Loyola Maryland’s freshman Jessica Bodewes and sophomore Matt Cardano were placed on the honorable mention list.
Patriot League Men’s Player of the Week
Derrick Thompson, Navy, Sr., Towson, Md.
* Thompson started the 2022 spring season off with a pair of wins in the team’s 6-1 victory versus St. Francis (Pa.).
* The senior teamed up with teammate senior Jack McBride and recorded a 6-3 win in No. 1 doubles action over senior Sebastian Pinos and freshman Fabio Varella.
* Thompson increased the Mids lead to 2-0 as he nabbed a 6-0, 6-1 win on court one against Pinos.
Patriot League Women’s Player of the Week
Jillian Taggart, Navy, Jr., Fair Oaks, Calif./Bella Vista
* Taggart helped Navy to a 7-0 win over St. Bonaventure by recording wins at No. 1 doubles and No. 1 singles.
* In doubles, the junior and teammate senior Kacey Moore earned a 6-0 victory over the Bonnies’ junior Amelia Haley and senior Andrea Roque.
* In singles action, the junior earned a No. 1 singles win in straight sets (6-4, 3-0) over Haley.
Shelly Yaloz, Boston University, Sr., Queens, NY/Lauren Springs
* Yaloz went 2-0 as Boston University lost at Yale, 6-1. The senior recorded a 2-6, 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 5 singles over junior Rena Lin and a 6-4 doubles win on court two with teammate sophomore Kaitlin Tan.
Jessica Bodewes, Loyola Maryland, Fr., Pittsford, NY/Pittsford-Mendon
* Bodewes picked up wins in singles and doubles Friday for Loyola to help the Greyhounds beat St. Bonaventure. She defeated Bonnies’ senior Emily Stanley, 6-4, 6-2, at No. 4 singles, and she paired with fellow freshman Lauren Manwiller for a 6-4 win over Stanley and sophomore Anastasia Gubanova at No. 2 doubles.
Matt Cardano, Loyola Maryland, So., Red Bank, NJ/Middletown South
*Cardano tallied a win at No. 3 singles, beating junior Luke Riemann in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4 against St. Bonaventure. He also paired with senior Edik Pribitkin for a win at No. 2 doubles to secure the early point as they beat Riemann and sophomore Ethan Nguyen, 6-4.
ABOUT THE PATRIOT LEAGUE
The Patriot League is in its fourth decade of academic and athletic achievement, continually demonstrating that student-athletes can excel at both academics and athletics without sacrificing high standards. The Patriot League’s athletic success is achieved while its member institutions remain committed to its founding principle of admitting and graduating student-athletes that are academically representative of their class. Participation in athletics at Patriot League institutions is viewed as an important component of a well-rounded education.