Men’s Tennis | January 23, 2022
LOS ANGELES — The No. 9 USC men’s tennis team whipped up another solid win at Marks Stadium, taking out visiting UC Irvine 6-1. The Trojans followed a speedy doubles point with a string of straight-set singles wins before the Anteaters snagged a point on the final match of the day. The victory improves USC to 3-0 overall.
There was no stopping USC’s top doubles duo of #10 Stefan Dostanic and Bradley Frye in their first dual-match pairing of the year. They scooped up a 6-1 win on court one, and then Paul Barretto and Peter Makk hauled in the doubles point for USC by matching that scoreline on court three.
The transition to singles action saw #6 Dostanic and #35 Makk both hit the gas early, taking 5-0 leads on their respective foes. Makk cruised right along, picking up a 6-0, 6-3 win over Mike Mkrtchian on court four to tally USC’s first singles win of the day. Next up was a quick finish from freshman Wojtek Marek on court three, as he dispatched Lawee Sherif 6-4, 6-1. A trio of Trojans hit the finish line within a minute of each other. #70 Frye came through with the clincher, taking the Trojans ahead 4-0 with his 6-2, 6-2 decision over Riccardo Roberto. freshman Ryan Colby collected the next point on a 6-3, 6-3 decision over Noah Zamora, and then Dostanic wrapped up his battle with Emmanuel Coste 6-3, 6-3 to make it a 6-0 USC advantage. That left a tight one on court six still raging. In a competitive 10-point tiebreaker to decide things, UC Irvine’s Ali Amiri edged out USC’s Paul Barretto 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (10-7) to wrap the match as a 6-1 USC victory.
USC’s next action has the Trojans hosting ITA Kickoff Weekend at Marks Stadium. On Saturday (Jan. 29) at 10 am, Denver and Pepperdine face off, followed by USC’s clash with Harvard at 1 pm On Sunday (Jan. 30), the consolation match takes place at 10 am, with the championship bout at 1 pm for the right to advance to the ITA National Team Indoor Championships.
#9 USC 6, UC Irvine 1
Jan. 23, 2022 | Marks Stadium (Los Angeles, Calif.)
(1) #10 Dostanic/Frye (USC) def. Roberto/Smart (UCI) – 6-1
(2) Colby/Marek (USC) vs. Coste/Zamora (UCI) – 3-2 susp.
(3) Barretto/Makk (USC) def. Amiri/Sah (UCI) – 6-1
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 1, 3
(1) #6 Stefan Dostanic (USC) def. Emmanuel Coste (UCI) – 6-3, 6-3
(2) #70 Bradley Frye (USC) def. Riccardo Roberto (UCI) – 6-2, 6-2*
(3) Wojtek Marek (USC) def. Lawee Sherif (UCI) – 6-4, 6-1
(4) #35 Peter Makk (USC) def. Mike Mkrtchian (UCI) – 6-0, 6-3
(5) Ryan Colby (USC) def. Noah Zamora (UCI) – 6-3, 6-3
(6) Ali Amiri (UCI) def. Paul Barretto (USC) – 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (10-7)
Order of finish: 4, 3, 2*, 5, 1, 6