Boxing | Thursday 27th January 2022

A Team GB gold medallist has turned professional, Mike Tyson doesn’t look like he’ll be returning to the ring any time soon and Natasha Jonas is stepping up three weight classes for her next showdown. Here are five stories you might have missed across a busy week of boxing.

Galal Yafai Signs Long-Term Promotional Deal With Matchroom

Tokyo 2020 Olympic champion Galal Yafai has put pen to paper on a long-term promotional deal with Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom Boxing.

The 29-year-old, who won gold in Japan at flyweight, will make his maiden professional appearance on the undercard of Lawrence Okolie’s WBO world title defense against Michal Cieslak in London on February 27.

“The goal now is to win a world title. I know there’s not many who have won gold then a world title so hopefully I can add my name to that list,” Yafai said.

“There’s some great current world champions out there at the minute, I’m not going to call out any names but my time will come – I have set my sights on being at the very top.”

Mike Tyson Unsure On Future Exhibition Matches

Former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson says he’s unsure if he’ll ever return to the ring, despite rumours linking him with a number of potential opponents including Jake Paul and his brother, Logan Paul.

Tyson, 55, returned to the ring at the tail-end of 2020 against fellow boxing great Roy Jones Jr, in a bout dubbed ‘Lockdown Knockdown’ which was scored a draw. ‘The Baddest Man on the Planet’ says that money ruined the fun for him.

“I don’t think I’d ever just do stuff like that anymore. I wanted to do it the first time just for fun, just to have fun,” Tyson told FULL SEND Podcast.

“Then some people took it to another level and made it financial and the fun went out of it.”

Sunny Edwards Title Defense Penciled In For March

Sunny Edwards will defend his IBF flyweight world title against Muhammad Waseem on March 19th in Dubai on a solid Probellum card that also includes Regis Prograis vs Tyrone McKenna in a super-lightweight clash.

“We are absolutely delighted to be returning to Dubai for our first event of 2022,” said Richard Schaefer, President of Probellum.

“Probellum has made a huge impact in the boxing world in a short period and we have some major plans for this year, starting with these two history-making shows in Dubai.

“There was a fantastic response to our first-ever event, which took place in Dubai at the end of last year, and we know there is a big appetite for boxing in the city.

“These two shows will feature many top-quality fighters from around the world, including Sunny Edwards, Muhammad Waseem, Tyrone McKenna, and Regis Prograis. We would encourage fans to secure tickets early in order to ensure they don’t miss out on what will undoubtedly be another fantastic event.”

Natasha Jonas To Face Ewa Piatkowska On Khan v Brook Undercard

Natasha Jonas will jump up three weight classes and face Ewa Piatkowska for the vacant WBO super-welterweight world title on the Amir Khan vs Kell Brook card on February 19th.

“Before I signed with BOXXER, my management and I had a meeting with Ben Shalom and told him what my goals and ambitions were and what I wanted to achieve before leaving the sport,” Jonas told Sky Sports.

“I knew it wouldn’t be easy with so many champions tied up but Ben assured me he would make it happen and he hasn’t let me down.

“I know it’s a big risk but those risky fights have brought out the best in me and I’m ready. I’m looking forward to it, it couldn’t be on a bigger show for north-west boxing and after I’ ve boxed I’ll be in the crowd myself to enjoy the main event. I am over the moon and I want to step up and get that world championship.”

Several Options On The Table For Canelo’s Next Fight

Just who Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez will face in the ring next is anyone’s guess, but one thing that’s for sure is the pound-for-pound superstar has a seemingly endless list of options in front of him.

PBC have reportedly extended a one-fight offer Canelo’s way for a May defense of his undisputed super middleweight championship against middleweight title holder Jermall Charlo. Meanwhile, Eddie Hearn and Matchroom have mooted a two-fight deal that would see Canelo take on light heavyweight titleholder Dmitry Bivol with a long-awaited trilogy battle with Gennady Golovkin coming in September.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.