PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. (March 14, 2022) – The No. 22 Denison University baseball team defeated No. 4 North Central College 2-1 in its first game of the day before taking down Sewanee 4-3 during game two on Monday at the Snowbird Classic.
Game 1 (No. 22 Denison 2, No. 4 North Central 1):
- Denison scored in the bottom of the first inning as Eric Colaco was hit by a pitch to lead it off, Ari Fierer single, Noah Leib sacrificed and then Danny Alvarez singled to left to score Colaco.
- Then after North Central scored in the bottom of the second to tie it, Denison’s starting pitcher, Trey Holland, stranded a Cardinal runner on third base with only one out in both the third and fourth innings. Holland finished with five innings pitched allowing just three hits, one walk and one run while striking out eight hitters.
- In the bottom of the sixth inning, Leib led off with a walk and then advanced to second with one out on a single through the left side by Daniel Spencer† Leib and Spencer then pulled off the double steal before an errant throw by the Cardinals’ catcher allowed Leib to score the eventual game-winning run.
- Denison combined for five stolen bases in the game, two of which came from Leib.
- George Vierbrock pitched 3.1 innings in relief allowing just two hits and two walks while striking out three to earn the win before Nick Falter entered in the top of the ninth with one out and the tying run on second. Falter got a strikeout looking followed by a fly out to center field to end it and earn his first save of the year.
- Combined, the Big Red pitching staff limited the No. 4-ranked team in NCAA Division III to five hits and three walks while striking out 12.
- It was Denison’s second win over a team ranked No. 4 in NCAA Division III over the last nine days after they took down then No. 4-ranked Adrian College 19-9 during the 5th Annual Berry Invitational.
Game 2 (No. 22 Denison 4, Sewanee 3):
- For the sixth game in a row to start the season, Denison scored in the very first inning as Matt McClements walked with one out, stole second base and then scored on an RBI-single by Fierer.
- Down 2-1 in the top of the fifth inning, Denison tied it as Jake Welsch led off with a double to left field, advanced to third base on a groundout by Chris Karasinskicand then scored on a sacrifice fly to center field by Patrick Neenan†
- That same trio then struck again in the top of the seventh inning as Welsch came up with a one-out double to right center field for his third hit and second double of the game in three at bats. Welsch then went to third on a single to left field by Karasinski before scoring on the ensuing fielder’s choice by Neenan.
- Denison then added to its lead in the top of the eighth inning with an RBI-double to left center by Danny Alvarez scoring Fierer, and that run would prove to be important in the end.
- Starting pitcher Will McManaman tossed five innings allowing four hits, four walks and two runs while Jarrett Hyder (1-0) came in and pitched perfectly 1-2-3 innings in the sixth and the seventh before needing a swinging strikeout to strand the bases loaded in the bottom of the eighth. In all, Hyder pitched three innings without allowing just one hit, one walk and no runs, which was good enough to earn the win.
- Then in the ninth, Falter came in with no outs and runners at the corners before picking up his second save of the day.
- no. 22 Denison improves to 6-1 on the season.
- no. 4 North Central drops to 8-3 after coming into its game against Denison after back-to-back shutout losses against the No. 2 and no. 8 nationally-ranked teams in NCAA Division III.
- Denison is now 3-0 all-time against North Central after outscoring the Cardinals 33-6 throughout the first two games between the two teams played during the Snowbird Classic in both 2017 and 2018.
- Sewanee drops to 2-13 and has now lost 12 games in a row overall, including an 0-5 start at the Snowbird Classic and an 11-2 loss against the College of Wooster, a familiar foe for Denison, its last time out.
- The Big Red are also now 1-1 all-time against Sewanee in what was the first game played between the two teams since 1966.
Next Up: Day four from Port Charlotte, Florida, on Tuesday, March 15, will see the Big Red take on Babson College at 11 am The Big Red and the Beavers will then play each other again at 10 am on Thursday, March 17, during Denison’s final day in florida.