Pac-12.com/BVBChamps | Pac-12 Record Book
TUCSON, Ariz. – Top seeded and No. 1 nationally ranked USC beat crosstown rival No. 3 UCLA to claim the 2022 Pac-12 Beach Volleyball Championship at Bear Down Beach on Friday. It marks the fourth time in the six stagings of the event the Trojans have claimed the crown (2016, 2017, 2019, 2022).
USC (32-1) went a perfect 4-0 over the three days of the championship to claim the league trophy – extending its overall win streak to 31 consecutive duals, the second-longest in program history (62 – March 2016-April 2017 ). The Trojans and Bruins have in all six Pac-12 title duals, with USC now up to four wins against its rival.
The final day of the Pac-12 Beach Volleyball Championship saw No. 12 CALIFORNIA advance to the semifinals with a 3-0 sweep of ARIZONA STATE. The Golden Bears were then swept out the tournament by UCLA (31-7) to set up the familiar final matchup.
In the title match, USCs Audrey Nourse/Nicole Nourse took the first point with a 21-19, 21-17 win on court 4, closely followed by No. 2’s Sammy Slater/Megan Kraft in a 23-21, 21-18 battle to give the Trojans a 2-0 lead going into the second wave of duals. USC’s No. 5 court of Sunny Villapando/Mollie Ebertin brought home the final point to crown USC the 2022 Pac-12 Champions.
At the conclusion of the Championship, six pairs were named to the Pac-12 Championship All-Tournament Team:
Cierra Flood/Lexi SweeneyARIZONA STATE
Ainsley Radell/Ashley DelgadoCALIFORNIA
Abby Van Winkle/Lexy DenaburgUCLA
Devon Newberry/Jaden WhitmarshUCLA
Tina Graudina/Hailey HarwardUSC
Julia Scoles/Delaynie MapleUSC
Pac-12 teams wait for the NCAA selections which will be announced Saturday, April 30 at 6 pm PT/9 pm ET on NCAA.com. The 2022 NCAA Women’s Beach Volleyball Championship, which has expanded to a 16-team field for the first time this spring, will be held at Gulf Shores Beach in Gulf Shores, Ala., May 4-8. Similar to the Pac-12 Championship, either USC (2016, 2017, 2021) or UCLA (2018, 2019) has won every NCAA national title to date.
PAC-12 BEACH VOLLEYBALL CHAMPIONSHIP HISTORY (HOST SCHOOL)
2022 – USC (ARIZ)
2021 – UCLA (UCLA)
2020 – No Competition
2019 – USC (USC)
2018 – UCLA (STAN)
2017 – USC (ARIZ)
2016 – USC (USC)
2022 PAC-12 BEACH VOLLEYBALL CHAMPIONSHIP
Bear Down Beach, Tucson, Arizona.
Friday’s Results (*all Duals played to decision)
Dual 14: #4 CALIFORNIA def. #6 ARIZONA STATE, 3-0
1. Maya Gessner/Ana Costa (CAL) def. Cierra Flood/Lexi Sweeney (ASU) 21-12, 21-15
2. Ainsley Radell/Ashley Delgado (CAL) vs. Lila Bordis/Anya Pemberton (ASU) 21-9, 19-17, unfinished
3. Lexi McKeown/Ella Dreibholz (CAL) def. Sarah Waters/Rylie Kael (ASU) 21-19, 21-10
4. Ava Mann/Brooke Buchner (CAL) def. Kylie Wickley/Kate Fitzgerald (ASU) 21-17, 21-18
5. Alex Young-Gomez/Natalie Martin (CAL) vs. Taryn Ames/Maddy Salazar 21-19, 15-20, unfinished
Order of finish: 1, 4, 3
Dual 15: #2 UCLA def. #4 CALIFORNIA, 3-0
1. Abby Van Winkle/Lexy Denaburg (UCLA) def. Ana Costa/Maya Gessner (CAL) 21-19, 21-15
2. Devon Newberry/Jaden Whitmarsh (UCLA) vs. Ashley Delgado/Ainsley Radell (CAL) 21-17, 14-15, unfinished
3. Lea Monkhouse/Jessie Smith (UCLA) def. Ella Dreibholz/Lexi McKeown (CAL) 21-18, 21-14
4. Rileigh Powers/Marlie Monserez (UCLA) vs. Ana Mann/Brooke Buchner (CAL) 18-21, 17-19, unfinished
5. Natalie Myszkowski/Sophie Moore (UCLA) def. Natalie Martin/Alex Young-Gomez (CAL) 21-18, 21-17
Order of finish: 3, 1, 5
Dual 16: #1 USC final #2 UCLA, 3-0
1. Tina Graudina/Hailey Harward (USC) vs. Abby Van Winkle/Lexy Denaburg (UCLA) 18-21, 14-13, unfinished
2. Sammy Slater/Megan Kraft (USC) def. Devon Newberry/Jaden Whitmarsh (UCLA) 23-21, 21-18
3. Julia Scoles/Delaynie Maple (USC) def. Jessie Smith/Lea Monkhouse (UCLA) 21-15, 21-17
4. Audrey Nourse/Nicole Nourse (USC) def. Rileigh Powers/Marlie Monserez (UCLA) 21-19, 21-17
5. Sunny Villapando/Mollie Ebertin (USC) vs. Marlie Monserez/Rileigh Powers (UCLA) 21-19, 20-15, unfinished
Order of finish: 4, 2, 3