ANN ARBOR, Mich. (May 18, 2022) – the no. 25 Rutgers baseball team wraps up its regular season this weekend on the road to take on Michigan in a three-game series in Ann Arbor. The Scarlet Knights sit in a tie with Maryland for first place in the Big Ten with a 16-5 record.
Rutgers currently ranks first among Big Ten teams in batting average (.321), doubles (130), doubles/game (2.50), fielding percentage (.980), hits (623), runs (501), runs/game (9.2 ) and shutouts (4). RU’s marks of batting average (2nd), doubles (2nd), doubles/game (5th), hits (2nd), hits allowed per nine innings (7.56, 9th), runs (2nd), runs/game (2nd), slugging percentage (.541, 9th) and W/L percentage (.769, 8th) are all top 10 in the nation.
LAST TIME OUT
• Rutgers is currently on a three-game winning streak after sweeping a rain-shortened series against Bowling Green and picking up a 14-2 win over Saint Joseph’s.
• Weekend starters Jared Kollar (8-2) and Nathan Florence (6-2) picked up the wins against Bowling Green, while Sam Portnoy pitched 2.0 perfect innings to earn the win against SJU.
• The win against St. Joe’s was the team’s 40th win of the season and the 2022 team became just the second team in program history to win 40 regular season games
• The Scarlet Knights continue to be an offensive machine under hitting coach Kyle Pettoruto†
• Rutgers’ team batting average of .321 is 18 points higher than the next-best Big Ten team (Maryland .303).
• Seven different qualified (2 PA/G) Scarlet Knights are batting over .300. Nine different players have at least 3- RBI on the season, including six with 40+ RBI
† Nick Cimillo leads the Big Ten with a .514 OBP, .749 SLG% and 1.263 OPS. He was named Second Team Midseason All-America by Perfect Game.
† Ryan Lasko (82) and Danny DiGeorgio (76) are first and second in the Big Ten in hits.
† Chris Brito (69) and Tony Santa Maria (58) are first and fifth in the Big Ten in RBI.
• Lasko (72, 1st), DiGeorgio (65, 3rd), Cimillo (59, 5th) are all tops on the conference leaderboard in runs scored.
• Cimillo (C, 12th), DiGeorgio (SS, 22nd) and Ryan Lasko (OF, 14th) were all ranked in the top 30 at their respective positions this week by D1 Baseball in its updated position rankings.
• Under pitching coach Brendan MonaghanRutgers has made its mark as one of the top pitching teams in the country.
• RU is second in the Big Ten with a 3.87 ERA.
• The team has 19 games with at least 10 strikeouts this season with a high of 16 against Omaha on March
† Dale Stanavich, a member of the NCBWA Stopper of the Year midseason watch list, is second in the Big Ten with 10 saves and has 39 strikeouts to just seven walks in 26.1 IP. Eight of his saves had been at least four outs and 15 of his 19 outs had been scoreless.
† Jared Kollar (Starter, 97th) and Dale Stanavich (Reliever, 10th) were both ranked nationally at their respective positions by D1 Baseball.