the 2022 I’M Not A GM Speed Chess Championship (IMSCC) is an event played on Chess.com where some of the strongest IMs compete in a series of speed chess matches. The event runs May 9 through June 15with players vying for their share of the $10,000 prize fund and the title of fastest IM in the world.
You can watch all the games of the 2022 I’M Not A GM Speed Chess Championship live on Chess.com/TV or on our Twitch channel. You can also watch all our live broadcasts on YouTube.com/ChesscomLive. Tune in to enjoy expert commentary by hosts GM Daniel Naroditsky and GM Robert Hess, and don’t forget to go to our Events page to catch every detail of the action.
The 2022 IMSCC is a 16-player single-elimination bracket that follows the format of other Speed Chess Championship events. Each match consists of two blitz segments followed by a bullet segment:
- 16 player, single elimination bracket.
- Matches consist of three segments: 75 minutes of 5+1 games, 45 minutes of 3+1 games, and 25 minutes of 1+1 games. The higher seeded player plays White first.
- Players get 1 point for a win, 0.5 points for a draw, and 0 points for a loss.
- The player with the most points at the end of the match wins.
- Games that begin before a segment’s timer runs out count toward the final score.
If the match is tied after the last 1+1 game, the following tiebreakers apply:
- A four-game 1+1 mini-match, with the higher-seeded player playing White first.
- If the tie persists, players contest an armageddon game with a bidding system for Black. Each player privately communicates the amount of time they are willing to have to play as Black with draw odds. The player with the lower bid plays Black, and the other plays White with 5 minutes on the clock. If the bid is tied, the higher-seeded player chooses the color.
The 2022 IMSCC runs from May 9 through June 15. You can see the schedule below:
- Round of 16: May 9-27
- Quarterfinals: June 3-June 8
- Semifinals: June 9-13
- Finals: June 15
Below you can see the day and time of each confirmed matchup:
- May 9 at 12 pm PT/21:00 CET: IM Levy Rozman vs. WGM Nemo Zhou
- May 11 at 11 am PT/20:00 CET: IM Greg Shahade vs. IM Lawrence Trent
- May 13 at 11 am PT/8:00 pm CET: FM James Canty III vs. IM Kostya Kavutskiy
- May 19 at 11 am PT/8:00 pm CET: IM Alina Kashlinskaya vs. IM Carissa Yip
- May 23 at 12 pm PT/21:00 CET: IM Justus Williams vs. IM Daniel Rensch
- May 24 at 9 a.m. PT/18:00 CET: IM Eric Rosen vs. IM Tania Sachdevi
- May 25 at 10 am PT/19:00 CET: IM Polina Shuvalova vs. IM David Pruess
- May 26 at 10 am PT/19:00 CET: IM Levy Rozman vs. IM Eric Rosen
- June 3 at 4:30 am PT/13:30 CET: IM Alina Kashlinskaya vs. IM Lawrence Trent
- June 6 at 4 am PT/13:00 CET: IM Bibisara Assaubayeva vs. IM Irene Sukandar
The event has a total prize fund of $10,000, with part of the money going to the winner of each stage and the other part distributed by win percentage.
|Internship||Match Total||Winner||Win % split|
|Round of 16||$500||$250||250|