CLUB RUGBY WRAP: False Bay toppled at home

Imtiyaaz Gamildien of Silvertree Rugby Club (centre) steam rolls Caledonian Roses player Raafiq Petersen during his attacking run in a Western Province Rugby Union City league division game played at Noll Avenue on Saturday 2 July. Silvertree won 21-12. PHOTO: Rashied Isaacs

In Western Province Super League A action over the weekend, Union-Milnerton continued to rewrite the record books after they traveled to Constantia on Saturday 2 July to beat False Bay 24-21 for the first time in their history.

It was a real giant-killing act, considering that visiting sides view False Bay’s Constantia home as an impenetrable fortress.

This win now puts Uni-Mil firmly at the top of the standings – 10 points ahead of UCT – who have three games in hand.

The game was the proverbial one of two halves.

The swirling wind and intermittent rain were not conducive to playing running rugby, but the game was interesting nonetheless.

Playing with the wind at their backs in the first half, the Bay established territorial advantage through the efforts of locks Ryan Olivier and Busanda Mubene in the lineouts, and eighth man Sauligh Arendse in the loose phases of play. It was not surprising that they led 14-3 at half-time, through tries by hooker Vlam van Vuuren and wing Chad Cloete. Both tries were converted by Evan Adams.

False Bay continued to lead the game until Uni-Mil scored the winning points in injury time.

In the second half, Uni-Mil adapted far better to the heavy underfoot conditions with scrumhalf Labib Kannemeyer bossing the game.

Together with his halfback partner Junaid Arendse, Kannemeyer made liberal use of the boot to keep their forwards advancing.

In addition, former Springbok Hilton Lobberts was influential in the tight exchanges and flanker Leon Carstens hunted relentlessly.

However, it was the boot of fullback Alroy Brandt that kept them in the game.

He converted the first try scored by Carstens and also kicked four penalties, but a third try to Bay by replacement hooker George Fritz, converted by Adams, put the home team 21-13 ahead.

It was two penalties by Brandt that brought Uni-Mil one score away from victory, dragging the score to 21-19.

It was a moment of magic from scrum half Kannemeyer who jinked his way past a hesitant Bay defence, enabling wing Dean Tattersall to cross in the corner for the winning try.

The fact that it came in injury time made the victory all the more sweeter.

In the remaining Super League A fixture, Durbanville-Bellville (Durbell) overwhelmed visitors SK Walmers 59-0.

Durbies scored nine unanswered tries, with the impressive flanker Rubin Venter bagging a double.

The Bo Kaap side, still without a win, will have to get their act together otherwise they could be staring relegation to Super League B square in the face.

In the Super League B division, log leaders Helderberg had little difficulty in maintaining their unbeaten record, trouncing visitors Franschhoek 52-6. Nearest challengers, Belhar, traveled to Paarl and had to pull out all the stops before emerging 28-21 winners over Young Peoples.

Collegians have gone three games without defeat following their 44-7 win over bottom-of-the-log Goodwood.

In the Super League C division, Rangers are still unbeaten but were made to work hard to beat visitors Elsies River United 46-26 in a high-scoring game.


Super League A:

Durbanville-Bellville 59, SK Walmers 0

False Bay 21, Union Milnerton 24

Super League B:

Bellville 59, Vineyards 22

Busy Bees 15, St Georges 38

Collegians 44, Goodwood 7

Helderberg 52, Franschhoek 6

Primrose 17, Hands & Heart 30

Scottsdene-Central 15, Langa 20

Young Peoples 21, Belhar 28

Super League C:

Albions 19, Beach United 10

Blue Jets 12, Morningstar 20

Crow Fountain 25, Macassar 20

Pniel Villagers 12, Kylemore 15

Raithby-Universals 36, Blue Stars United 42

Rangers 46, Elsie River United 26.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.